NEWS

Carolyn Hartz reveals secrets amazing body

08:28



Carolyn Hartz boasts a bikini body and glowing complexion that many women decades younger could only dream of.

The Perth-based mother-of-three, who gave up sugar 28 years ago after years of being "addicted" to sweets, recently spoke about her top beauty and health secrets for women of all ages.

"A lot of women post 50 think that it"s not possible to maintain a reasonable shape and weight when they reach 50 or beyond".

"I even speak to women who are in their 40s and who have had children and think they cannot regain their post baby body."


Carolyn Hartz (pictured) boasts a bikini body and glowing complexion that many women decades younger could only dream of


Mrs Hartz, who is 70, says while it may be "a little more difficult" to stay in shape for women post 40, it can "still be possible if you really want to work at it".

"We know our metabolism slows down as we get older it just means we have to take control and make healthier choices and work a little harder," she said.

"I believe it is very important to be aware of the type of food you eat and the quantity of food you eat. Being mindful while you are eating is a huge factor.

"Mindless eating can lead to unnecessary weight gain. I say to my customers "taste and enjoy every mouthful"... it will help you slow down and you will be less likely to overeat."


The Perth-based mother-of-three, who gave up sugar 28 years ago after years of being "addicted" to sweets, recently spoke to FEMAIL about her top health secrets for women



Breakfast

I like to start my day with a banana or kiwifruit and my favourite cup of English breakfast tea. I then have either two eggs or scrambled eggs with spinach and tomato or salmon on a piece of gluten-free toast. If I don’t want a big breakfast I have natural yogurt with fresh fruit and sometimes I add whey protein or ricotta.

Morning Snack

Cup of tea, a piece of fruit and 10 to 12 almonds or a piece of cheese and a couple of rice biscuits

Lunch

Chicken, avocado, feta cheese and tomato on either rice cracker biscuits or gluten-free toast, or a salad with a serve of protein. Which can either be salmon or haloumi.

Afternoon Snack

Similar to my morning snack but sometimes I have a sugar free cookie or slice that I have made with Perfect Sweet.

Dinner

Mostly lean chicken or fish, and occasionally red meat with a salad or green vegetables and sweet potato. I love my casseroles in the winter.

TIPS

- I cut out sugar 28 years ago, which was difficult because I was a sugar addict. I now bake my own sweets and desserts with sugar free Perfect Sweet and nutritious ingredients like almond meal and coconut instead of flour.

- I think it is important to include fresh fruit and vegetables, dairy and protein daily in my diet. I always include protein in every meal as it helps me feel satisfied and helps stabilise my blood sugar levels.

- I love my sweet treats and I don"t deprive myself. I eat 2 pieces of dark chocolate every night.


And when it comes to food, sugar is most certainly out, with Mrs Hartz opting for an alternative called Xylitol

Xylitol is an all-natural sugar free sweetener that tastes and looks like sugar, but that is where the similarities end. Our bodies produce up to 15g of xylitol daily during normal metabolism.

Xylitol is one of a group of sugar substitutes known as polyols. Others in the same group include sorbitol and maltitol, but they have 6 carbon structures and can be metabolised by harmful bacteria. However, xylitol has a unique 5 carbon structure metabolised only by friendly bacteria. Xylitol is a sweetener that occurs naturally. It can be found in berries and other fruits and some vegetables.


Mrs Hartz said the first two tips for women hoping to look their best are to do with their attitude and diet.

"I am an optimist even when I have challenges thrown at me I have learnt to stay positive. I have trained myself to remember the half the glass is always half full," she said.

"You may laugh at this but I wish the weather presenters would say a partially sunny day not a partially cloudy day. I think it would make the viewers so much happier."

And when it comes to food, sugar is most certainly out, with Mrs Hartz opting for an alternative called Xylitol.

"Research has shown that obesity in Australia has reached epidemic levels and sugar has been a major contributing factor," Mrs Hartz explained.


"I make sure I eat protein with every meal especially breakfast. It stops the cravings," she said



1. Ditch or reduce sugar, flour and take away food.

2. Don’t deprive yourself.

3. Be mindful.

4. Exercise regularly.

5. Enjoy food and life.

"I have been sugar free for 28 years. It was difficult at first as I was a sugar addict but I believe it is one of the most important reasons I have been able to keep myself healthy and keep my body shape.

"I make sure I eat protein with every meal especially breakfast. It stops the cravings."

Mrs Hartz also urges people to never deprive themselves of the food and drinks they love but to be careful of "portion size".


Mrs Hartz recently took up tennis again after 25 years


1. My daily routine

2. Practice gratitude

3. Meditate

4. Yoga

5. Walk the dog

6. Shower breakfast briefly read the paper

7. Work 9.00- 6.30 and I am now aiming for a 4 day working week and taking Fridays off. But not much luck so far!!!

8. Evenings with my husband. We both love the movies and usually go at least once every fortnight when there is a good movie showing.

9. Weekends is time with my family and friends and I love shopping at our farmers market.

Sleep is also crucial, with Mrs Hartz trying to sleep for at least eight hours every night.

"I have done this for most of my life and now the research shows that it is essential for good health to get this number of hours," she said.

"It is when our body heals and rejuvenates."

Meditation and gratitude are two thinks Mrs Hartz credits to her incredible health.

"I meditate every day usually in the morning it means I have to get up half an hour earlier but the benefits during my working day is enormous," she said.

"I am so much calmer and intuitive since I have been meditating. I only started meditating at 65 so it is never too late.



INGREDIENTS

Cake – makes 1 layer

150g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease

100g Perfect Sweet® xylitol

3 X-large eggs

200g almond meal

50g arrowroot

1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder

Pinch of salt

180 ml milk, lukewarm

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

To Assemble

500ml whipping cream

400g fresh berries of your choice

200g Perfect Sweet® Berry Jam (Recipe on Website)

75g Dark Bitter Chocolate, melted (optional) (Recipe on website)

Rose petals or edible flowers to decorate (optional)

METHOD

Preheat oven to 150˚C/130˚C fan-forced. Grease a 24cm round cake pan with butter and line with baking paper,

Use an electric beater to beat the butter and xylitol in a medium bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well.

Mix the almond meal, arrowroot, gluten free baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl. Add to the egg mixture and combine on low speed. Add the lukewarm milk and vanilla and stir until combined.

Pour mixture into prepared cake pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Repeat this recipe twice for the remaining layers.

To Assemble

Whip the cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.

Set aside 1 cup of the whipped cream and 150g of the fresh berries to decorate the top layer.

To assemble, place the first cake layer on a serving plate and spread over half the jam, then half the remaining cream and top with half the remaining berries. Gently place the second cake layer on top and repeat.

Place the third cake layer on top and finish with the reserved whipped cream and berries. If using, drizzle with melted chocolate and serve.

"Even just starting with five minutes a day and build to 20-30 minutes.

"I practice gratitude for five minutes every morning as part of my meditation. It is the most wonderful uplifting practice."

When it comes to exercise, Mrs Hartz says she feels the best when she is outside in nature.

"I walk my dog in the park 30 minutes a day. This is one of the best things that I do all day as he loves it and I love it too. I try to do yoga three times a week," she said.

Mrs Hartz also recently took up tennis again after 25 years.

One of the most important pieces of advice Mrs Hartz has for women is to never compare themselves to others.


"I love my sweet treats and I don"t deprive myself. I eat 2 pieces of dark chocolate every night," she said



"Be aware of what you like about them and let them inspire you but we are all individuals and we all have our own special traits," she said.

"Be happy for your friends successes, enjoy them together. Never be jealous or resentful, both are wasted emotions and only hurt your wellbeing."

Mrs Hartz also regularly gives back to society and will be working with the Care Brain Foundation next.

With beauty, Mrs Hartz has been following the same skincare regime since she was 17 years old.

"I never go to bed without cleansing and removing my make-up and I moisturise every night especially around the eyes and neck," she said.


"I never go to bed without cleansing and removing my make-up and I moisturise every night especially around the eyes and neck," she said



"I wear sunscreen everyday under my makeup and never sun bake. I am very aware of the damaging effects of the sun and I had this reminder when I had a cancer removed from my nose when I was only 30."

For women in their 20s and 30s, Mrs Hartz advises them to live life to the absolute fullest.

"Be happy for everyone and never worry about your age," she said.

"Don"t listen to the naysayers, be your own person. Attitude is your most important asset. Life is not perfect, accept this and grab it with both hands.

There is no such thing as failure, it is just a stepping stone to success. In fact I don"t use the word failure I prefer "setback". It does not have a negative tone.

"Most importantly train yourself to see the glass as half full. The day is partially sunny not partially cloudy!"

0 Comments